What is one of the most common reasons that patients visit or look into visiting an oral surgeon? To replace missing teeth! Most patients end up choosing dental implants as their ideal replacement choice because dental implants look, feel, and function just like natural teeth. The popularity of this procedure has sparked so much interest that other dental practitioners and corporate dental companies are looking to capitalize on this opportunity to offer dental implantation services. But the unfortunate truth is that many practitioners don’t have the necessary training or experience to place dental implants. That is why we urge you to ask very specific questions of your doctor prior to making a selection for your dental implant placement.
Below we have listed 5 things you want to go over when you are choosing the right doctor for your dental implant procedure.
- What kind of training has the doctor completed? Before receiving certification, oral surgeons must complete additional training and gain in-hospital experience. Residency programs ensure they gain the licensure to practice individually. While many other dental professionals gain their training during a weekend course, oral surgeons are trained through specific requirements. The choice here is obvious! You can’t deny the value in experience.
- How many dental implants has the doctor placed? Once again, you cannot deny the value in experience. Most dental practitioners are not specialists and do not consistently perform dental implant procedures. Oral surgeons regularly perform dental implant procedures; thus you should expect them to answer with a relatively high number, depending on the size of their practice.
- What is the doctor’s success rate? For your sake, you want to go to a doctor that knows the procedure and is almost always successful! Shoot for someone who has a 95 percent success rate (or better).
- How long will it take them to complete the procedure? A dental implant procedure can vary; it should not be rushed or take too long. Normally, dental implant procedures take no more than half an hour to an hour.
- What would disqualify me for dental implants? The only way to find out is to schedule a consultation! You should visit an experienced oral surgeon. You will receive a consultation that consists of a thorough examination and a discussion of your medical history or other factors. This combination of factors helps them formulate your specific treatment plan.
When you undergo any procedure, you want to make sure you trust a true professional. While dentists and other institutions may claim they can place dental implants, they usually do not have the same kind of training or experience of a specialist, like an oral surgeon. Extensive experience and knowledge about the placement of dental implants is your best bet for the best results, which is why it’s important to have all the information you need to make the best decision for your oral health. When you select a trained oral surgeon, you get everything you need and more! If you still have questions, or you are ready to come in and meet our skilled team, please feel free to contact By Design Dental Implant Center and schedule a consultation appointment.